Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:06:53 -0500

Thomas Bushnell, BSG <address@hidden> wrote:

> The GNU Project has worked for many many years quite successfully by
> holding to a "no-policy policy".  Let's keep it that way.

I see your point in this regard, and I think being somewhat flexible is
important.

However, at the very least, we need stated guidelines on the ways we
decide whether or not someone can host a project.

If it becomes generally known that we wish to open savannah up to non-GNU
programs (which it quickly will, if we start allowing it, even if we don't
publicize it) people will begin asking for space.

For the year I've been in charge of address@hidden, people are daily asking
us to donate webspace, FTP space, and the like.  We give them a clear
answer: become a GNU program and we'll host you.

If we begin hosting a single non-GNU program, others will notice, and
begin asking to be hosted.  If we choose not to host them, we need to be
able to tell them a clear answer when they ask: "Why not?".  And, we must
be extremely careful that we use consistent guidelines to decide this
matter.  Otherwise, the free software development community will
definitely become upset with us.

So, I am not insisting that we have hard and fast policy on this issue,
but I believe strongly that we need clear and published guidelines on how
we will decide the matter.