Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software

From: Mike Nugent
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 11:02:11 -0800

Guidelines are good as long as they can be changed.

"The problem with unwritten law is that you don't know where to go to erase it."
--Glaser and Way

Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

"Bradley M. Kuhn" <address@hidden> writes:

However, at the very least, we need stated guidelines on the ways we
decide whether or not someone can host a project.

No, we don't. We host GNU projects, that's clear.

For the year I've been in charge of address@hidden, people are daily asking
us to donate webspace, FTP space, and the like.  We give them a clear
answer: become a GNU program and we'll host you.

Well, I kind of dislike this approach.  I understand it works, and
it's a reasonable way for the FSF to spend its money.

If we begin hosting a single non-GNU program, others will notice, and
begin asking to be hosted.  If we choose not to host them, we need to be
able to tell them a clear answer when they ask: "Why not?".

"John is a long-time friend of the GNU Project" should be a good
enough reason, I think.  "We don't have a policy" is a decent answer.
"We just judge each case as best as we can."

So, I am not insisting that we have hard and fast policy on this issue,
but I believe strongly that we need clear and published guidelines on how
we will decide the matter.

The one thing I think we must not do is have published guidelines.
Once you do that, then people will have a reasonable expectation that
you stick to them, even if they give the wrong result in some case.
I'd like us to continue to have the freedom to adapt and change our
mind and decide what's best each time.

Thomas

--
Mike Nugent