Re: [Savannah-hackers] Naming our sourceforge clone (was Re: Savannah an

From: Joel N. Weber II
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Naming our sourceforge clone (was Re: Savannah and non-GNU software)
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 23:22:34 -0500

     freecode.fsf.org
     fresssourcecode.fsf.org
     freesoftware.fsf.org

I think that we should either use common nouns which are precisely
descriptive, or else use proper nouns.  All of these seem like they
could just as well be the name of our ftp server as they could be the
name of a sourceforge clone.

One might also argue that the convention of coming up with
interesting, non-generic names for machines is a longstanding
tradition that we do not want to part with.