[Savannah-hackers] Java pages: project on savannah

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Java pages: project on savannah
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 20:07:03 +0100

I'm ccing this to:

- rms for the overall view and for thoughts about java's inclusion in
the GNU project
- paul fisher and aaron renn because they're currently the gnu-java
contact point
- classpath because they're a major GNU java project
- per bothner because he runs another major GNU java project (Kawa)

My question is: would anyone getting this have an objection to me
setting up a savannah project to manage the GNU java web pages?

Some background:
The java pages are in the website subdirectory: software/java/
To my knowledge there are only 2 pages:

software/java/index.html
This page is a sort of general introduction to GNU java efforts.
It includes:
- info on the various VMs and on the Classpath project
- some self printing java programs
- text on the situation in and around Java the place.

software/java/java-software.html
This lists software that has been donated to the GNU/FSF. It also
includes something of a package registry (java classes are seperated
into "packages") though it is a far from complete registry of the gnu
package namespace.

The problems with these pages, as I see them, are:
- they do not give a clear message about GNU and Java
- they are a "mish-mash", ie: non logical separation of content
- they do not make clear what is part of the GNU project and what is
imply GPLed.

What I would *like* to do is:
reduce the index page to:
- a short statement about the GNU project and Java
- links to all GNU java programs (VMs, classpath, etc...)
- links to further pages (see below)
- the statement about the Javanese political situation

add pages (to be linked from the index)
- a package registry
- descriptions of GPLed (but non-GNU) java programs
- self printing java programs

Who would need access to the project?
The gnu webmasters obviously but also:
- some people (maybe all people) from classpath
- me (because of the GNU paperclips project and possibly the OJE
project)
- per bothner (because of the kawa project)

What would I need to complete the project?
Confirmation from someone (or somewhere) about which of the java
programs that are listed are actually in the GNU project and which are
just free software contributions.

Anything else?
It would be nice if we had a mailing list that united all the java
efforts at GNU (to my knowledge we don't have one). I understand that
savannah will soon have a management interface for mailing lists.
Should this project be considered a good idea I suggest that it would
be the natural home for a java list.

Nic Ferrier