Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Java pages: project on savannah

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Java pages: project on savannah
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:42:13 -0600 (MDT)

    The other parts of this is acting as a clearing-house for the gnu.*
    hierarchy of Java package names.  We obviously need some kind of
    clearing-house to avoid clashes, and we also need a registry of
    packages under gnu.*.

I presume that only GNU packages should have names in gnu.*.  If so,
this job applies to GNU packages written in Java.  So it is fairly
distinct from the other gnu-java job, which is deciding which non-GNU
packages to make links to.  If separating these two functions helps
get them done, that is fine with me.

    In February I sent mail to address@hidden asking whether I could
    "have" the gnu.lists package name.  I've gotten no answer, so I don't
    really know if it ok or not to call my package gnu.lists.

What went wrong here?  How come nobody responded to this question?

      The address@hidden
    list may be a good place to discuss proposed packages, but perhaps
    it needs to be expanded to more people.

Hold on there!  Having more people on a list does not necessarily help
make a decision--it could just as well lead to unterminating arguments.