[Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Re: AddressBook]

From: loic
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Re: AddressBook]
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 13:04:49 +0200

FYI,

Related to task

http://savannah.gnu.org/pm/task.php?func=detailtask&project_task_id=100&group_id=53&group_project_id=37

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: AddressBook Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 01:22:06 -0700 (PDT)
> Joseph Engo writes:
>  > Please, submit a bug report on sourceforge.
>  >

>       I did submit 5 bug reports related to php3 compatibility.
> I came to the conclusion that no developer actualy works using php3 and
> that's the reason why it breaks, dumps core and barks at almost every
> page.
>
>       Since I'm trying to install phpgroupware on the GNU machines
> and want to migrate the SourceForge clone we use (savannah.gnu.org) to
> phpgroupware, it worries me a bit ;-) I was first re-assured by the
> fact that the phpgroupware pages say that it must run on php3 but I'm
> a bit discouraged now. There is no way we can use php4 because of its
> bizarre license: the GNU project must show the good example and refuse
> to use a software that restricts the freedom of the developers in some
> way.

There hasn't been a lot of PHP 3 testing done recently.  98% of it is done
by me, but becuase of a number of network problems I have had recently.  I
have been unable to test it.  I will however, test it before release and fix
any problems.

I agree 100% with the licensing issues of PHP 4.  It really bothers me on
the choices the PHP devteam has made.

I personally use PHP 4 for my current development.  It offears quite a speed
boost.  My code very rarley breaks PHP 3, becuase thats where I started my
learning.

>       I'm using the latest CVS checkout and don't mind to fix a few
> things here and there. What frightens me is to be the only one
> apparently concerned about php3 compatibility.

Belive me, I am 100% concerned.  We are the only PHP project of this size
that feels backwords compatibilty is very important.  Having someone else
looking over our shoulders helps a great deal.  Having a handfull of the
developers testing it only turns up a few errors.  I would greatly
appericate it if you would submit some patches against current cvs.

>       Thanks for the hard work you're doing, phpgroupware is well
> designed and has a promising future.

No problem.  It only gets better :)

Joseph Engo

--- End Message ---