[Savannah-hackers] [Savannah] ksusu want to be a GNU package

From: savannah-hackers
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] [Savannah] ksusu want to be a GNU package
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:27:33 +0000

Hi,

The following project was submitted to Savannah. It needs evaluation to
become a GNU package, can you give it a look, please ?

Submitter: <address@hidden>
Project Full Name:  KopiSusu
Project System Name:  ksusu
License:  gpl
Approval URL: https://savannah.gnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=159
compiler that follows the official standards as closely as possible.
In accordance with the &#039;eat your own dogfood&#039; principle, it is
written only in the java language.

The project should move KopiSusu in a direction where it closely cooperates
with other Free Software java efforts. It is already regression-tested against
the Kaffe and Classpath java libraries, but more effort must be taken in the
area of installers, working around bugs in implementations of Free virtual
machines, etc.

To improve its speed (yes, java does have some drawbacks), more must be done in
the field of optimization, and there are several plans for making it work with
gcj, the gcc java implementation.

A possibility that hasn&#039;t yet been discussed with the people involved, is
to replace the current java source frontend of gcj with a future version of
KopiSusu; the source of KopiSusu is currently being refactored to allow
multiple targets for the compiler in addition to the current .class file
target; options are C++ source or a native interface into the gcj backend.

Important to note is that KopiSusu is based on the KOPI suite, made by the
Austrian company DMS. KJC 1.4F is used by kaffe (it&#039;s in the distribution,
at least, but it doesn&#039;t seem to be a favorite).
KopiSusu is now about 200 hours of hard work separated from KJC, and a merge
with KJC doesn&#039;t seem possible, since DMS wants copyrights to the whole
project, and don&#039;t even accept submissions if the copyright is assigned to
the FSF. Presumably this is because they also want to release a commercial
version with a different license than the GPL.

>From what I gather, the main developer who created KJC is no longer working
>for DMS, the website hasn&#039;t been updated for a year, hardly anybody is
>responsive (except for Edouard Parmelan, who sadly doesn&#039;t have control
>over the KOPI project) and the promised 1.5 release that is available
>(unrelease) from CVS has not fixed the majority of bugs in KJC. If you need
>more rationale for a fork, I&#039;ll provide it - I&#039;ve discussed it with
>a few people who have longer experience with the GNU project thant I have.

 -- the Savannah admin