[Savannah-hackers] Re: exim configuration

From: Joel N. Weber II
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: exim configuration
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:08:53 -0400

   Ad Joel pointed out, setting trusted_groups seemed the best solution to
   solve the bounce problem. So I had set in /etc/exim/exim.conf (new
   location on latest Debian packages)

Why, oh why, oh why, does Debian insist upon moving config files
around every year?

   trusted_groups =

   But, for an unknown it did not work. Josip was still getting bounces
   althought he is in the www group.

Have you tried anything else to isolate the problem?

address@hidden can use -f just fine; if I do this to send a
message with the sender as address@hidden

address@hidden:~> /usr/sbin/sendmail -f address@hidden address@hidden

Then from on my home mail server does indeed list address@hidden
as being the sender.

xanthine:~$ from
>From address@hidden Mon Apr 30 12:04:44 2001

although I guess I did this test after you did the
untrusted_set_sender = true thing.

   Therefore, I tried to set the trusted_users to *, but Exim did not seem
   to support this. So I've ended up setting :

   untrusted_set_sender = true

   (which is not very good)

Why do you think this is not a good idea?  You can forge mail quite
convincingly by opening a tcp connection directly rather than sending
mail through exim, regardless of the trusted_users settings, and I
don't think trusted_users has any effects other than setting the
envelope from.