Re: [Savannah-hackers] Evaluation: OJE

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Evaluation: OJE
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 02:43:49 +0100

>>> Hugo Gayosso <address@hidden> 08-May-01 1:07:00 AM >>>

>This evaluation was requested by savannah-hackers,
>how should we proceed?
>Do we send this kind of evaluations to you (RMS) and
>Cc: Savannah-hackers?
>I guess that you decide if this becomes part of GNU, and
>then notify savannah-hackers so they approve the creation
>of the project in Savannah.

FYI Bradley Kuhn and I discussed the name of the project. Bradley
thinks that OJE (which stands for Open Java Extensions) is a bad idea
because it includes the word "Java" (and we don't have permission from
Sun to do that) and the word "Open" which invokes the "open source"
movement.

I suggested that we call the project:

  xClasses

instead of OJE. This removes the reference to Java and the Open
Source movement but is still a snappy mnemonic.

Other alternatives were:

- Classpathx
too similar to Classpath, might cause confusion

- free-classesx
too strange

- GNU foundation classes
Sun use the term foundation classes, but for something different, so
this might be confusing.

So, the upshot of all that is: if the project is approved can we
please call it "xClasses" and not "OJE"?

Nic Ferrier