[Savannah-hackers] Savannah mirrors (was: Licence question)

From: loic
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah mirrors (was: Licence question)
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 19:25:45 +0200

Alessandro Rubini writes:
 > Copying over data is not an issue (Loic suggests rsync), but the main
 > issue is, in my opinion, getting a second point to enter data. Not a
 > problem with email, a problem with CVS.

        Having two modifications entry point is hard, not only for CVS.
The coopx group is working with the idea to allow read-only replication
and the ability to change the single modification point easily. That
would allow to instantaneously switch from one hosting facility to the
other if they are synchronized on a daily basis with rsync. Or with a
one day delay (if the project is big) if the project has to be copied
over from nothing.

 > I heard that linuxdoc.org is having two or three CVS servers and you
 > could both download and upload to any of them. If there's interest, I
 > can ask about the technical solution they used. I am not in their
 > lists any more, but I may be able to get in touch with the right
 > people anyways.

        That would be very intersting indeed. Please send references
and technical details to address@hidden for reference.

 > Technically, this *is* a problem. If the original site is cleared by
 > US government, the automatical "rsync --delete" will vanish any
 > mirroring :)

        :-) In that case we would have to rely on the backups. That
indeed requires that daily offline backups are done. It's currently
the case on Savannah and one should check that it's the case before
migrating/mirroring a project to any new hosting facility.

        Cheers,