[Savannah-hackers] Re: migrating from gnats to RT?

From: Joel N. Weber II
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: migrating from gnats to RT?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:20:35 -0400

   Gnats *does* appear to be under active maintainership, as does
   gnatsweb.  I suspect the minimum fuss thing to do would be:

   o Provide a concrete list of why Gnats currently sucks

AFAIK, they haven't made something that was labeled a non-beta release
in like more than half a decade.  I also get the impression that it
tends to go not-actively-maintained from time to time, whereas I think
RT has enough of a user base that it's not likely to go unmaintained.

For example, I noticed that Gandi (the domain name registrar) is using
RT.  CMU apparently uses it.  And that's probably just the tip of the
iceberg.

NetBSD still uses GNATS AFAIK; at one point I was hearing something
about them having a binary for which they'd lost the sources with all
of their changes to get it to work adaquately well.

There are probably other issues as well, although I'm not sure offhand.

   o Give that to the maintainers
   o Tell rms that we've given them the list and are willing to wait 6 months
     before we simply switch to something else.

   The parts of Gnats that I intensly dislike are quite easy to solve:
   (Real DB + commands to expose schema at runtime for ease of use
   through gnatsd).  I will be unemployed in 8 hours, 10 minutes, so I
   will probably have time between now and when I move to New York in
   August to hack on things like this.  I've got a couple other projects
   ahead of it, though.

   Tks,
   Jeff Bailey