Re: [Savannah-hackers] Fwd: about linuxdoc CVS

From: Olivier Berger
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Fwd: about linuxdoc CVS
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 02:52:06 +0200

Alessandro Rubini a écrit :

> I asked the CVS maintainter for linuxdoc.org about multi-point commit.
> This is the reply I got.

> >> I recall from a long time ago (back then I was in the linuxdoc mailing
> >> lists) that the LDP managed to set up two or three commit points for
> >> their CVS tree.
> >>
> >> Is that right? If so, could you please be so kind as to tell me the
> >> technical means to accomplish that?
> >
> > No we have only one point for write access and few for read only access.
> > Few months ago we prepare some small extensions (awk script runed on
> > server side on each commit) which allow realize more up to date passive
> > servers using kind push technick (poll like can be implemented using rsync
> > cvs tree from crontab).
> > If You want known some details about this - no problem.

I'm not surprised by their answer :(

It's actually a real problem to solve merge conflicts and other such
things with simultaneous commits on totally de-synchronised systems...
unless you have some central repository queried, which restrains the
felxibility that's brought by CVS ;)

Anyway, their push solution is interesting... even if such things should
be available in several ways, since this problem must already have
discussed in CVS lists / FAQs (or I'm too optimistic ? ;)

Olivier BERGER - Secrétaire de l'association APRIL
APRIL (http://www.april.org) - Vive python (http://www.python.org)
Pétition contre les brevets logiciels : http://petition.eurolinux.org