Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of The GOSSIP Simula

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of The GOSSIP Simulation Environment
Date: 05 Oct 2001 16:57:33 +0200

Loic Dachary <address@hidden> writes:

>       Your project was approved.

Thanks!

> I'd be interested to understand why you made this exception on the
> header file. Could you explain it to me ?

(The exception is poorly worded, I think, and I probably need to ask
for advice how to state it more precisely.)

I don't want force GOSSIP models that are written in C++ to be covered
by the GPL.  I also don't want to use the Lesser GPL for all of
GOSSIP.

Basically, the exception should allow people to distribute C++
programs that are GOSSIP models with the licensing terms they choose.
I expect this to be an advantage for GOSSIP since more people will be
likely to use it, leading to better feedback on the core of GOSSIP
itself.  Forcing people to release their models with the GPL might
lead to more Free Software, and indeed, a rich model library is
crucial for GOSSIP.  But it is my feeling that many people are not in
a position to release their models under the GPL, even if they might
want to use GOSSIP.

I understand that the licensing issues only surface when code is
actually distributed.  When no significant distribution of no-GPL-able
models would take place anyway, one could remove the exception.  The
benefit would be to remove the legal uncertainties that probably
surround the exception.

If you think there are problems with the exception, I will consider
removing it.  I'm unsure myself whether it is _really_ a good idea.