[Savannah-hackers] Re: address@hidden: Re: address@hidden: Re: Emacs mai

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: address@hidden: Re: address@hidden: Re: Emacs maintenance]]
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 20:26:24 +0200

> Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 21:36:37 +0100
> From: "Jaime E . Villate" <address@hidden>
>
> Oh, I see; you're using the ancient method. To make it work you'd have to
> use:    cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/home/cvs co CVSROOT
> and edit commitinfo.

Thanks.  With this, "cvs login" worked, but "cvs co" did not; here's
the trace:

    $ cvsroot -t co CVSROOT
    S-> do_module (CVSROOT, Updating, , )
    S-> do_module (CVSROOT, Updating, , )
    S-> fopen(/home/cvs/CVSROOT/history,a)
    S-> unlink(./CVS/Entries.Static)
    ->unlink(CVS/Entries.Static)
    cvs server: Updating CVSROOT
    cvs server: failed to create lock directory in repository
`/home/cvs/CVSROOT': Permission denied
    cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/home/cvs/CVSROOT'
    cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

> But you should better not do it this way (you'd be
> editing a file that belongs to several projects, the :pserver: method
> may be suspended any time, and CVS/SSH is safer).
> You should get used to the new method:
>
>   - After logging in Savannah, enter "Account Maintenance" and then "Edit
> Keys"
>     to add your key (follow the directions).
>
>   - After a few minutes (I think it's around 30) your key will be moved into
>     place and you'll have CVS/SSH access (you shouldn't have to give any
>     password)
>
>   - Follow the steps from the Savannah guide:
>      cvs -d subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co CVSROOT

Will try this as well, thanks.

Btw, where do I find the CVS tree (or instructions about where to find
it) for the files in the directory /home/www/html/manual/emacs/?  I
thought about updating the manuals there with the new ones which will
be shipped with Emacs 21.  (I have an account on gnudist, if that
helps, but /etc/motd there says that all the files should be modified
via CVS.)

Thanks again for your help.