Re: [Savannah-hackers] pserver broken

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] pserver broken
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:53:58 +0200

 >    a) Check the debian bug tracking system, and possibly an upstream
 >       bug tracking system.  Perhaps such a thing will contain some clues
 >       about how to fix the problem.  loic, if you want to look into
 >       this problem furthur, that's probably a good first step.

        I checked and there is no open bug reports related to this problem.
When trying to get rid of the pending LAST_ACK on port 2401, I stoped
xinetd and waited for a minute or two. I very much suspect that this is
a kernel bug. I don't see how xinetd could cause a LAST_ACK to last for
hours after it died.

        I also restarted xinetd, binding 2401 on another IP
(subversions-ssh.gnu.org), started and stoped xinetd, reloaded the
configuration gracefully a few times. The bug did not repeat itself.

        Talking to people using 2.2.18 kernels, they said that they
sometime found themselves in similar conditions and that shuting down
the eth interfaces + rmmod driver + insmod driver removed the spurious
entries. I wonder if that kind of fix is faster / safer than a plain
reboot. These people have enormous amount of disk space without a
journaling file system, they are therefore quite reluctant to reboot
simply because mounting the file systems takes a looooong time.

        Cheers,