Re: [Savannah-hackers] Beginner howto.

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Beginner howto.
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 18:08:55 +0100

Jean-Philippe Boisseau writes:
 > Let's go...
 >
 > One of the first things a beginner tries to do is to upload
 > his project presentation page and a few bytes of code.
 >
 > That's pretty hard for someone who never used ssh, cvs, rsync
 > and so on. I'll write a few things on cvs, that's not the
 > hardest for me. But, as you can see on my project page...
 > I wasn't able to establish ssh connection...
 > Two main questions:
 > How can we manage our ssh identity and our login name on our
 > own machine? For example, when y try the "rsync --rsh=ssh
 > distribution.tar.gz freesoftware.fsf.org:/upload/jpkg/"
 > command, ssh believes I must login as thor, instead of
 > jean-philippe...

       rsync [OPTION]... SRC [SRC]... address@hidden::DEST

        You can specify the user in front of the host.

 > A bit more far:
 > "address@hidden:~$ cvs -z3
 > address@hidden:/cvsroot/jpkg/ co jpkg
 > address@hidden's password:"
 > What can be this password? I thought my ssh passphrase would
 > have allowed me to log without such a server password.

        It's a sign that you've not uploaded the ssh public key.
See http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group_id=607

        "Your savannah password is useless for cvs. You have to
        register a CVS/SSH Shared key in the Account Maintenance page
        for the machine from which you run cvs."

        Cheers,

75019    Paris         T: 33 1 42 45 09 16          address@hidden