[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of HoloSplit

From: helling
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of HoloSplit
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 06:47:29 -0500

Robert Helling <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: HoloSplit
System name: holosplit

This software digestes a large file and produces a file of approximate size of
1/n of the original size. Every time it is applied the outputfile is different,
there can be virtually infinitely many different output files.

These output files can be recombined holographically, meaning you can take
(virtually) any collection of n output files to reproduce the original file
(like the redundancy of a RAID array).

There is no compression involved (but compression can of course be applied
independently).

There is a wide range of possible applications like redundant mirroring, file
sharing services (\"no, my mirror does not have the xyz.mp3, it has at most
part of it, and, this part is unimportant, since you can have the original
xyz.mp3 only using parts different from my part on other servers\"), redundant
backup to floppy disks, etc.

There are working (but slow) perl scripts as a proof of concept available at
http://www.aei.mpg.de/~helling/holosplit.hmtl