[Savannah-hackers] Re: FOO.gnu.org

From: Ron Peterson
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: FOO.gnu.org
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 21:35:02 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Someone suggested in October that we could establish FOO.gnu.org
> as a virtual host alias for http://www.gnu.org/software/FOO
> for all supported values of FOO.  I worried at first that gcc.gnu.org
> might be a stumbling block, but apparently it will not be.
> We just have to leave the current definition of that host unchanged.
>
> So, do people want to make this change?
>
> Does anyone see any reasons we should not do this?
> Any problems it would cause?

Is the "for all supported values of FOO" a problem?

http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/5_BNF.html describes valid URL schemes.

Of course, any project that has a /software/FOO entry now has a valid FOO.
Maybe the question is, do we care about establishing any kind of
consistency for (virtual) hostnames?  E.G. - should a project named "GNU
FOO" be called "gnufoo" or "foo"?  Technically, it doesn't matter.

--

-Ron-
https://www.yellowbank.com/