[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of OpenMoz

From: tbutler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of OpenMoz
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 17:11:09 -0500

Timothy R. Butler <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: OpenMoz
System name: openmoz

My project, OpenMoz, is currently in the early coding stages. The goal is to
create a free software implementation of the backend of the Open Directory
Project (www.dmoz.org). I think, and I hope other free software programmers
will agree, that it is a very bad thing that a project claiming to be an \"open
directory\" does not have the code for the project available as either free or
open source software.

To remedy this, Ciaran Hamilton and I (Tim Butler), two Open Directory Project
editors, have set to this task, and will release our work under the GNU GPL.
OpenMoz is being programmed in Perl, and will be initially setup to use the
MySQL database (with the goal to support additional databases - such as
PostgreSQL - later on).

Further more OpenMoz will be an attempt to improve upon the Open Directory
Project, adding additional features where the original lacks. The goal won\'t
be 100% compatibility, but to provide a system capable of a similar task, and
also support for importing the XML/RDF dumps from the Open Directory Project if
necessary.

Per your instructions, I am saying \"It does not exist yet but I\'m working on
it.\"