Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: classpath: GIF files

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: classpath: GIF files
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 17:46:57 +0100

        Hi,

        Please accept my apologies. What I thought to be a good idea
apparently turned out to be very unpleasant to you. I fixed the script
to avoid troubles in the future. Could you please tell me if the sample
mail below is acceptable ? If not could you suggest a way to improve it ?

        - the To: shows all recipients
        - a mailing list would be better but we have no way to figure
          out which mailing list is appropriate, in an automated way.
          We could research & track each project, asking developers for
          the relevant mailing list. But that would be so time consuming
          that no volunteer will do it. If sending to all developpers
          in this way is not acceptable, I think we don't have a better
          solution than to just drop the whole idea.
        - added explanations on why and by who the mail was sent

        Thanks for your help and understanding,

        Cheers,

Subject: thotbook: GIF files
To: address@hidden,address@hidden

    Hi,

    Could you please remove the following GIF files from the project
thotbook hosted on the GNU machines ?

    For an explanation on why there are not GIF files on the GNU
machines read http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html. This policy was
established years ago by the GNU project and is an integral part of
the requirements for every project registering on savannah.gnu.org
(see http://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php).

    This mail was created by a script on the Savannah machine and
run manually by one of the address@hidden It was sent
to all members of thotbook because we have no automated way to
figure out what is the relevant mailing list and who, among the
existing developers, is taking care of these issues at present.

    The home page of your project is
      http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/thotbook/

    You can convert GIF files to PNG using the gif2png program.
      http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/gif2png/gif2png-2.4.2.tar.gz

    Here is a sample script to convert the GIF files that are in
the sources of thotbook to PNG.

    export CVS_RSH=ssh
    mkdir tmp
    cd tmp