[Savannah-hackers] Re: Question on usage of Savannah

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Question on usage of Savannah
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:15:47 +0100

Kurt Brauchli writes:
 > hey, thanks for your input
 >
 > On Tuesday 22 January 2002 10:22, you wrote:
 > >    - Video: could videolan.org provide a solution for your needs ?
 > >      It provides a video server + client. Even if it's not as
 > >      advanced from a technical point of view, if it can do the
 > >      job that's enough to remove the non free software dependency.
 >
 > streaming video is not so much the problem (I only need 1fps), I soved this
 > with perl and a very simple JAVA client, but getting the video from the
 > hardware (from a video-in card or a webcam or so.)

        I see. And the video4linux kernel support cannot help you there ?
Modules are missing or is it just the wrong solution ?

 > About JAVA: is there a free software VM which is used with a
 > webbroser to run JAVA Applets (I wouldn't know of any).

        I know very little on this subject. There are some, yes. I think
you'll find them if you do some research. The tricky question is to find
out if they implement enough functionalities to run your code.

        Cheers,