Re: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah was hard to navigate

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah was hard to navigate
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:53:09 +0000

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 10:38:24PM -0700, Richard Stallman wrote:
> But the general instructions about
> using CVS have to be easy to find from the home page--especially
> the anonymous access.
>
> The first thing in the left menu is "Status: not logged in" followed
> by advice for logging in.  It is important to tell people that login
> is needed for non-anonymous access only.  Above the "Status" there
> should be a menu item for "Anonymous access".
>
> "Status" should be replaced with "Login Status", and it should be
> followed by a link named "Why log in?" leading to a page that explains
> why you might want to log in, and why you might NOT need to log in.

Thanks for your comments; we were all too familiar with Sourceforge before
working in Savannah, so we became used to its interface and need feedback from
new users to let us know what's not as obvious as we think.

I have changed "Status" and made a link "Why log in?" as you suggested. Please
note that this Log-in is independent from CVS access as I've tried to
explaine in "Why log in?". To make it easier to find the instructions for CVS
access, I've put another link on the left menu bar, under the project's name
("Sourcecode CVS"); you can see it for example in
  http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs

Please let us know if you think it is still not helpful or it can be
improved.

Regards,
Jaime