Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: virtual hostnames for gnu project

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: virtual hostnames for gnu projects]
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 06:53:23 -0700 (MST)

    The question then becomes: how should project web pages other project
    webpages within the same project?  If I go to, should I
    reasonably expect to remain in  Or is it o.k. to bounce
    over to  Or vice versa.

Whether links from should go to,
I am not sure.

But the answer to the reverse question is clear.  Links in pages found
through should definitely not point to  This is for the sake of mirrors of  If you
access SOME-MIRROR/software/FOO and follow links within it, links
should stay on that mirror.

We want all the pages for FOO to be available through
Users who know about that host name will tend to make links to it,
including links to pages other than the main page of the program.
We want that to work.

However, that doesn't mean that the front page of must
link to the other pages on  It can link to them on  Either one could be ok, for all I know.

Is it possible to implement as a redirect to for all subsidiary pages, but serve the
front page directly?