Re: [Savannah-hackers] GPG keys

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] GPG keys
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 16:14:50 +0000

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 01:25:10AM +0000, Nic Ferrier wrote:
> Also, I'm not sure what sort of facilities you have for large-ish
> fields. I can see a column on the user table for the SSH key, is it
> actually held in the database for each user?

Sure, you can see the structure of the "user" SQL table in
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/savannah/savannah/db/SourceForge.sql

However, I think a GPG key can be much larger than a server key (my GPG public
key is currently 8627 bytes long, and growing everytime I get more
signatures). A better option would be to save the GPG public key in the home
directory of the user. The server keys also end up in the user's home
directory after a script retreives them from the database; in the case of the
GPG key we could save them directly in the home directory, without keeping a
copy of it in the database (there might be some problem with writing
permission for the user runing the php scripts).

> What I've done is to add a field to the SQL tables (for the user's
> key) and then add some code to handle uploading it.
I do not know the lenght limit of a field in a MySQL table, but I think some
GPG public keys may go over that limit.

> I won't attach the diff here... do I send it to a list?
The problem is that we have too many pending tasks to work on this or to apply
patches you send us. You will have to gain the courage to change the Savannah
CVS repository on your own :-)

> What I really want to know is if there is anywhere for me to test
> this. To be honest, I don't want this change so much that I will go
> to the trouble to setup a development savannah locally!
Are you already in the Savannah project? the best way to test would be to
write a script directly in Savannah. If you need root access we can also work
it out.

Cheers,
Jaime