[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Fleming File Sharing
[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Fleming File Sharing System
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 08:08:18 -0500
A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org.
This mail was sent to address@hidden, address@hidden
Jaquemet Loic <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: Fleming File Sharing System
System name: ffss
This package does NOT want to apply for inclusion in the GNU project
It is a new powerful and easy to use file sharing protocol for LANs. It has
been designed for the purpose a replacing samba (windows neighbourhood) on any
small or big local networks.
FFSS somehow works like samba, that is a computer shares many folders, and a
local computer connects to those shares, to retrieve or upload files.
But FFSS has many advantages to reduce the harmful effects of sharing lots of
files on a pretty big network :
- Shared files listing is hold in memory, so your HD will not be requested
each time someone browse your shares. Faster, and noiseless.
- Download and upload can be achieved using streaming (only supported mode by
samba), or full file (FTP-like) using (or not, depending on your server
- FFSS includes neteject functions : you can disable a share (no connection
allowed), or set your server in silent mode (only file browsing allowed, no
- FFSS server includes a FTP compatibility option (all shares are retrievable
from the FTP root directory).
- A powerful search engine is included in the FFSS master, which allow very
fast file search, using many tags (video, music, pictures, doc, zip, exe...)
- [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Fleming File Sharing System,