[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Zebra

From: anichi_p
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Zebra
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:55:14 -0500

Anichini Perceval <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Zebra
System name: zebra

Many A.I. problems can be modeled as constraint satisfaction problems (CSPs). A
CSP is a problem composed of a finite set of variables, having a finite domain
of values and a set of constraints. Solving a CSP consists in finding a value
for each variable wihtout violating any constraint. (For example, see the
n-queens problem, which consists in placing n chess queens on an n × n board
such that no queen can attack another. Another example is the map coloring
problem).

  Most of time, problems solved by CSP are NP-Hard, but their are many
algorithm which try to reduce the search space of each variable, in order to
solve the CSP as quickly as possible.

  Their are many algorithms allowing to solve a CSP (Backtrack, Backjump,
Looking forward, MAC), and as much to reduce the search space (Arc consistency,
Path consistency, k-means, ...)

Zebra is a software which will allow people :
  1 - To enter a CSP problem using a little dedicated language
  2 - Solving it using a given algorithm.
  3 - Benchmark some algorithm (i.e. producing a TeX file giving solving time
for each algorithm given a CSP, and reporting stuff like number of constraint
checks done, ...)

  I will try to implement as many algorithm as possible (At least, i\'ll
implement all the algorithms documented i can find) in order to really allow
people to solve every CSP they want, the way they want.

  Zebra will be developped in C++ (Actually, this is the part which does not
comply with the gnu coding standards). I will use Flex/Bison/Automake/Autoconf.
The code will be documented with doxygen, the manual will be written using
Texinfo.
  Reports will be output as TeX files, if a graph must be done, i think i will
use GnuPlot. (Maybe metapost, i\'m not fixed on that point)

It does not exist yet but I\'m working on it.