[Savannah-hackers] Re: GIF files in gsweb

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: GIF files in gsweb
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 00:35:18 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:34:22 -0700 Adam Fedor <address@hidden> wrote:

 >| I was getting a lot of complaints about the remaining gif files in
 >| gsweb, so I tried to convert them to MNG files.
 >|
 >| I tried a few different programs, but none seemed to work, although
 >| perhaps this is because Mozilla doesn't actually read MNG files, so I
 >| couldn't verify them. Anyway I just made them into PNG files and I'll
 >| continue trying to convert them correctly.

Thank you. I've tried to convert these last 3 .gif without luck too.

I've started to write comments partially about this problem. next I was
thinking not to send them because I dislike making trouble and
don't want you to be annoyed by them but finally I send them because even if
the starting point is not so
important, I think it's related to more important things. I hope my english is
not so bad and that these comments won't
hurt more than I wanted to.
<<
BTW, I'm not always happy with FSF things: FSF 'ask' we don't use GIF. OK but
'they' don't provide a
working alternative (error.mng mean nothing now because conversion has 'eaten'
the text).

FSF never prohibiting the use of gif before:
        http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html
        << Given this situation, we could still include GIF files in our web
pages if we wanted to. Many other people
        would be happy to generate them for us, and we would not be sued for
having GIF files on our server.>>

Another point, as FSF talk about freedom: I dislike that some people play with
my freedom: when I started GNUstepWeb
project, it wasn't on savannah cvs but on the old cvs. Nobody asked me or other
people before moving it into savannah.
Nobody tell us about requirement before doing it (BTW, you have to login before
accessing
http://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php which doesn't seems logical:
I prefer to know what I can or can't
do before accepting something).

And when some of us needed some help/ask FSF for advice, we had no
interesting/useable answer/help (remember patent discussion with RMS).
Honestly I don't find reason to care about FSF .gif boycott when FSF doesn't
care about 'our' patent problems

Adam, please don't take these remarks for you. They are more against some
not-so-coherent way of thinking.

Manuel