Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of DTD->C parser gen

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of DTD->C parser generator
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 18:02:47 +0000

I'm sorry that we cannot accept your project because of its restriction to
only version 2 of the GPL. You are not doing anything wrong by restricting to
version 2 only of the GPL, and your software continues to be free
software. However, the FSF doesn't want to accept that license in its hosts
because it would be compatible with GPL v2, but wouldn't be compatible with
the next version. And this is something that the FSF wants to discourage.

Please keep in mind that if you decide to accept Savannah's policy of "GPL V2
or later", if a version 3 comes out nobody in Savannah would go and update
the license information of your project; it would continue to be "GPL V2 or
later" if you wanted it that way and it would not cause any conflicts for
Savannah. And if a user wants to abide by the rules of V2, because he/she finds
it better than V3, they can choose to do that. The copying permission
statement gives them that option:
  "...you can redistribute it and/or modify
   (at your option) any later version."

If you decide to accept version 2 or later of the GPL, you can register your
project again. You also have the option of using other GPL-compatible license
from the list of accepted licenses in Savannah.

Regards,
Jaime