Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Download area/hosting on freesoftware.fsf.org

From: Georg C. F. Greve
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Download area/hosting on freesoftware.fsf.org
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 21:04:15 +0100

 || On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 19:36:58 +0100
 || mathieu <address@hidden> wrote:

 m> I see an another reason of hosting project under the FSF TLD :
 m> ... a reason in the developper point of view, and not the FSF
 m> one. It means for him and his user that is software IS REALLY a
 m> free software, clear about licensing issues.

That is indeed a good point although I don't think it necessitates the
use of fsf.org. I have to admit I find the point of making sure the
FSF gets proper credit to be more important.

 m> The whole thing seems to be only this specific discussions :

 m> - How many people that develop Free Software have never heard
 m> about Savannah as Jörg do ?

I don't know, but I know for sure that Jörg did and does know of and
about savannah. That is 100% certain.

He just assumed that if something is hosted under freesoftware.fsf.org
it would be an official FSF project. It would not surprise me if more
than 50% of the people made a similar assumption since that is the way
the internet is normally organized.

 m> - Isn't the FSF responsible of the savannah content (and if not,
 m> why selecting and rejecting projects, so ?)

It is partially responsible for the content, which is one of the
reasons why we have those checks. The other reason is that we have
limited resources and want to make sure that they are provided to Free
Software only.

Still I don't think we should necessarily foster the impression
everything on savannah was an official FSF project. That would require
a level of control for all projects that I would not consider
feasible, useful or wise.

Regards,
Georg

--