[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Medlane

From: ksclarke
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Medlane
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:55:59 -0500

Kevin S. Clarke <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Medlane
System name: medlane

My project is an attempt to create a tool set for libraries interested in
moving their records from the MARC format to XML.  Currently libraries are
dependent on proprietary software because we use a format that is only used by
us.  Since not many libraries can afford programmers (we are one of the
exceptions) they have to take what is sold to them by these vendors.  Moving to
a platform/system independent format like XML will allow us to use a variety of
tools and better integrate library information in with the rest of the Web
resources.  We have previously released XMLMARC which is software to convert
MARC records into XML based on a flexible mapping language (also expressed in
XML).  We are working on creating library specific resources (cataloging
module, circ module, etc.) from standard freely available tools (free software
databases, etc.)... we are adding the library specific features.

The page that has XMLMARC is http://xmlmarc.stanford.edu but the software you
will download from there is not GPL compliant (despite the fact that we
released it under the GPL... we\'ve learned a little more about the licensing
requirements since then).  We have a rewritten version that is GPL compliant
but it is not on the web yet.  We would like to put it into a \"Medlane\"
project here... in addition to an editor for bibliographic records and one for
the maps we use, we have preliminary work on the database.  The rest will
come...