Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of qtcsharp

From: mathieu
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of qtcsharp
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:40:31 +0100

Le ven 15 mar 2002 à 11h00, Jaime E. Villate a écrit :
On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 01:42:25AM -0800, Adam Treat wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Mono just became self hosting and I have indeed verified that mcs
(that's
> mono's compiler) _will_ compile the bindings ;-)  Mono's compiler is
released
> under the GPL, so the qtcsharp can be used without any non_free
software.
> Also, I am changing the source to include more of the GPL as you
suggested.
> So when can I start putting things up?

Hi,
That's good news. Please register your project again explaining that
it can
run with Mono and that Mono is Free Software, and don't forget to
include a
pointer to where the new version of the source code can be found.

http://www.ximian.com/devzone/projects/mono.html

" In contrast, the Mono Project development platform provides open source developers with a true "build once, deploy anywhere" tool set taking advantage of the myriad of services enabled by Microsoft.NET. Under the terms of the GPL and the LGPL licenses used by the Mono Project, developers can write and distribute commercial and proprietary applications, something that is not possible with the Microsoft "shared source" license."

This seems very strange to me.
The main argument is the ability of developping proprietary software.

(but, by the way, I dont understand FSF and RMS support to Ximian, since that company dont care about everything that is said at www.gnu.org (for example, simple thing as No Gifs, Free Software instead of Open Source...))

BTW, is Mono usable without proprietary .Net ?

--
mathieu

  ] les brevets, protection de l'innovation ?
  ] http://petition.eurolinux.org