Re: [Savannah-hackers] Is there a limitation on the project type?

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Is there a limitation on the project type?
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 15:11:29 +0000

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 03:02:25PM +0100, Patrick Ohnewein wrote:
> So resume:
> Can a java program, which *requires* SUNs VM, be free software?

Yes, it can. But no, we cannot host such Free Software in Savannah. To be
hosted in Savannah it is not enough to be Free Software; it should be usable
without requiring any proprietary software (we do not want to encourage
users to start installing proprietary software).

Kaffe does not support Swing, and no other free VM does at this
point. To achieve the goal of a completely free operating system, one has to
make several compromises. Using AWT rather than Swing is currently one of
those compromises.

Cheers,
Jaime