Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of SMACS

From: Eduardo Garcia Cebollero
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of SMACS
Date: 20 Mar 2002 23:07:09 +0100

It will be in multiple parts:

User Interface(1)<--(4)--\               /-----Config Engine(3)
                          \             /
User Interface(1)<--------->Server(2)<-<>------Config Engine(3)
                          /             \
User Interface(1)<-------/               \-(4)-Config Engine(3)
                        /
Scripts Iface (5)<-----/

(1) User Interface: It will be the part of the proyect the end user will
use, they will be programs (graphical or non-graphical) that will
comunicate with the Server in all sort of ways (sockets, pipes, CORBA),
or by wrappers(4) (by example an user interface that uses pipes, will be
able to communicate a remote server by sockets), it will comunicate with
the server by a well defined api.

(2) Server: The only purpose of the server is communicating the users
interfaces(1) with the configuration engines(3), it will keep a DataBase
of what config engines he have connected, and what configuration command
comming from user interfaces go to what config engine, for example a
Firewall config interface send a "drop all packets comming from
10.32.1.3" and the server shoul send this request to the
iptables/ipchains/... config engine depending on which config engine is
connected to the server, if there is no firewall config engine attached
to the server, the server will send to the client a message saying that.

(3) Config Engine: This part of the System will do the real config work,
they will modify/create the necessary scripts for doing something. For
example, if you want to configure a apache server, a config engine for
apache will be necesary (using debconf, using direct-manipulation of
config engines, using what the programmer of that module want, it will
recive requests from the server and acording to this requests it will do
something.

(4) Engine Wrappers: This is an optional part of the system, it will do
the necessary modifications on the communication to the server, if
anybody do a User Interface that want to comunicate with dcom for
example and the server does not implement it in the current version the
wrapper should convert it to a known form by the server.

(5) Scripts Iface: This kind of interface will be designed to replicate
some configurations (for example for a PVM cluster), and no need follow
a step by step process many time. You will feed the Script (Config
commands) to the interface and it will pass them to the server,
returning success or fail depending in the state of the operation.

PD: Excuseme for my horrible english but my mother languaje is spanish
and i don't speack english very well. If you want a spanish explanation
of this, i will do it. If you need more data, i will give more. And
Thanks for the attention :).

PPD: The project is in early design state. I have no code already.

PPPD: I have elected LGPL license to allow the programmers to make
non-glp User Interfaces , wrappers or Config Engines. If you think, GPL
will be a better idea, please let me know.