Re: [Savannah-hackers] How to fight spam on GNU mailing lists

From: Martin Hamilton
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:05:03 +0100

"Mathieu Roy" <address@hidden> writes:

| So what I propose is
|       - to use spamassassin (or another one, but this one seems to
| works fine, I've rode favorables comments about it) to filter the spam
| messages ; dont require anything for the users do to something special
[...]
|       - maybe works also with a whitelist system (it seems that
| spamassassin provide it to)

Few more comments from me...

I think the pass ("white") list must be something which people could add their
names to without intervention at the gnu.org end, as per my earlier suggestions.

Expecting folk (myself included) to do stuff at the gnu.org end in a timely way
has often proven fraught, and some of the mail which would get held/bounced
pending manual approval for the pass list will turn out to be time critical.
This is my problem with Mark's proposal too.

To begin with, I would suggest simply configuring a system wide copy of
SpamAssassin to tag messages suspected as spam, and monitor a few high volume
mailing lists for false positives.

I want to use the SpamAssasin + user-updateable pass list approach for our
campus mail routers back home, so will be putting together a prototype in the
next few days for this anyway :-)  Will post some more details and maybe set up
a demo on fencepost when I have this working...

Cheers,

Martin