Re: [Savannah-hackers] groupedit.php modifications

From: mathieu
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] groupedit.php modifications
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 11:43:50 +0200

Le mer 29 mai 2002 à 10h38, Jaime E . Villate a écrit :
On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 01:37:13AM +0200, mathieu wrote:
> Le mar 28 mai 2002 à 16h38, Jaime E . Villate a écrit :
>
> > In any case, I think it is better to keep the correct value in the
> > Database
> > and instead of trying to guess the homepage, use what the DB says
>
> I'm not agree. It means spending time but it doesnt really give us
> something better.
> The database homepage link is interesting only if this is not a
> standard url. If it is not, so, the project admin will update this
link.
> If it is a standard url (gnu.org fsf.org), I dont see any reason to
> spend time to give more informations than the ones that can be
easily
> guessed.
>
> If thinks that it is an unclever using of database to use it to
store
> informations than can be guessed.

There is already a "homepage" field in the groups table, which we
cannot get
rid of because some projects decide to change their homepage to any
other URL
outside Savannah. Up to now that field has been kept with the correct
information.

I do not see any reason to start filling up that field with URLs such
as
"http://www.gnu.org/software/engineer"; which do not exist. You cannot
avoid
that information from showing up in webpages: when the project manager
wishes
to change the URL you will have to show him the current value of
"homepage" in
table groups.

A separate issue (which is what you discuss) is what's the fastest way
discover the value of "homepage". If all the projects were hosted in
either
gnu.org or fsf.org, you'd be right, it is faster to guess its value
rather than
accessing the database. But not all projects have their homepage in
fsf.org or
gnu.org, which means that you will have to read the value of field
"homepage"
anyway. I do not have any particular preference for any of the two
methods, so
if you prefer using the first one that's fine with me. What I don't
agree with
is that we start filling up "homepage" in "groups" with wrong
information.

Basically, I thinks that there should be 2 option for this field.

- standard
- non standard

If it is standard, we check if the package is GNU or not. (as we already do about ftp / download link, mailing-list).
If it is not the case, we show the non standard url.

I'll update the "homepage" link.

mathieu
* http://meuh.coleumes.org Le Réseau Voltaire, cancrelats animés par le lucre ou idiots sans scrupules ? *
  * http://gpg.coleumes.org GPG Key *