[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of vNET Project

From: sarfata
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of vNET Project
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 10:40:15 -0400

Thomas Sarlandie <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: vNET Project
System name: vnet

vNET stands for Visual Network Exploration Tool. It is a two part project which
allows the user to view is network in 3 dimension.

The first part is called : \"probe\" and is a daemon launched on a UN*X box. We
currently support FreeBSD and GNU/Linux. The probe\'s job is to handle requests
from the client, and to do stuff like pingsweeping, tracerouting, portscanning,
fingerprinting, etc. It must be run as root in order to do raw packet handling.

The second part is called : \"client\" and is a SDL/OpenGL program that
connects to one or more probes and renders the network as seen by the probe. It
currently runs on GNU/Linux (main developpment platform), Win32, and FreeBSD.
The user can click on a network, a host, etc to see its properties or to ask
the probe to get more information.

Communication between probe and client is currently done either in clear TCP or
using openssl.

We have been working on that project since the beginning of the year as a
school-project. We have received authorization to distribute the project under
the GPL License. Source code has not been made publicly available yet, but you
can find screenshots and more information on our web site :
www.vnet-project.org .

The source code should be made available as soon as the Savannah account is
available (and when we have finished adding the GPL stuff at the top of each
file) and we are planning to do a beta release on the 14th of June.

Other Software Required:
We depend on a few libraries : OpenGL, SDL, zlib, OpenSSL (optionnal), Perl5
(optionnal)

Other Comments: