Re: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah hardware set-up

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah hardware set-up
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 09:51:16 +0200

"Dr. Christian B,bv(Bttger" writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I just visited https://savannah.gnu.org/phpsysinfo/ and it was nice
 > to see what small machine can handle the Savannah site. On the
 > other hand, I was a bit astonished to see that this machine doesn't
 > seem to be set-up for more than out-of-the-box
 > reliability/availability. I didn't even see any kind of RAID array.
 >
 > Well, perhaps I can offer something in the name of probusiness
 > AG. We have a strong focus, amongst other things) on high
 > availability using Linux.  We are willing to do a number of things,
 > if you want (provided, you can get the hardware from somewhere): we
 > can create a concept for higher availability, depending on
 > available hardware: RAID configuration backup/recovery concept (if
 > not already implemented) high availability using GPL'd software:
 > either a solution using Heartbeat (no expensive shared storage
 > needed) or a real Linux HA concept (using the Linux Virtual Server
 > project/ "piranha") (shared storage hardware necessary)
 >
 > We can set-up the concept, but we can also implement it;
 > e.g. creating disk images over here (Germany) and shipping them to
 > you, combined with remote work over the Internet.
 >
 > This would be a sort of donation, you would not be charged for our
 > services and support.
 >
 > Another thing we might consider is setting up a complete mirror
 > site (mainly for Europe) in our premises. This depends on the
 > amount of traffic to be expected, could you supply figures on that?

        Thanks a lot for this generous (and rare I must say ;-) offer.
We currently have an offer to host the hardware in Luxemburg (long
term, enough bandwidth). What we lack is hardware. Would you know
someone willing to donate hardware to the GNU project to install a
savannah sibling in Europe ?

        A typical hardware installation (in addition to the requirements
you mentionned for RAID & stuff) is made of a terminal server allowing
to switch on/off the machine remotely (necessary since GNU sysadmin are
not physically near the machine), a SNMP manageable switch. If you'd like,
read http://france.fsfeurope.org/server/wrap-sysadmin-france.en.html that
shows how this is implemented in France.

        Cheers,