[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of TINI Is Not Init

From: patrick . ohnewein
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of TINI Is Not Init
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 19:50:01 -0400

Patrick Ohnewein <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: TINI Is Not Init
System name: tini
This package wants to apply for inclusion in the GNU project

An infrastructure made up by shell scripts and a well defined directory
structure, which act somewhat like the init scripts, but with the main aim to
be able to easily switch between different environments. I need this for my
notebook. The main idea is to configure the system starting up with as less
services as really needed.
The other services get activated by the environment dependent scripts.
The switching between the environments should be possible even on a running
system, not only during the boot up process.
The default init scripts of the hosting GNU/Linux system (or other OSs using
analog strategies) shouldn\'t have to be modified, this has the advantage of
easy system upgrades. On the other hand the init scripts can be used to set up
the different environments as a sort of abstraction layer.
But the system hasn\'t to be limited to the init scripts. It has to provide the
ability to change even application settings, like the mozilla (browser,
messenger, ...) preferences, which in my case change massively across the
different environments.

Other Software Required:
Being the system made up by shell scripts and by a directory structure
definition, it should be very portable and shouldn\'t have big software
requirements. Yes we will probably need the bash.

Other Comments:
The project is in a very alpha state and I hope you could give me the
possibility to host it on savannah. Having than a publicly accessible CVS will
surely help and push the project a lot!