[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of libsnprintfv

From: gary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of libsnprintfv
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:07:25 -0400

Gary V. Vaughan <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: other
Other License: Rather than use LGPL, I use GNU GPL v2 with the following
exception so that this library can be linked with projects that use AutoGen\'s
LGPL libopts (which itself needs
libsnprintfv):

As a special exception to the GNU General Public License, if you distribute
this file as part of a program that also links with and uses the libopts
library from AutoGen, you may include it under the same distribution terms used
by the libopts library.
Package: libsnprintfv
System name: libsnprintfv
This package wants to apply for inclusion in the GNU project

snprintfv is a standalone reimplementation of the C library
*printf functions.  Most importantly, it fixes the long-standing
problem with the traditional API which prevents a programmer
from writing a program (call it: bash) that reads printf-like
commands from a file (call it: script.sh) and portably using the
system printf API to do the formatting.  Traditionally, the
programmer gets to parse all those `%3$0#4$*.6x\' specifiers on her
own; snprintfv adds a *printfv(..., void *paramv[]) call set, which operates on
an accumulated array of parameters.  Additionally, it will provide source
compatibility with GLIBC user format specifiers very soon, and will be able to
runtime load user format specifier plugins using libtool\'s ltdl.

Should the new *printfv calls prove popular, I would like to see
the model adopted by GLIBC and others, and have this code distributed with
libiberty in any case.

It already exists and you can download a baseline distribution at
http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk/dist/snprintfv-0.98h.tar.gz, though
my motivation for hosting the project at savannah is to integrate
various forks in GNU Autogen, GNU M4 and GNU Smalltalk.

Other Software Required:
GNU libtool\'s ltdl (and the other GNU auto* utilities and their
dependencies -- GNU M4 and Perl)

Other Comments: