[Savannah-hackers] Project names "open"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Project names "open"
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:05:58 -0600 (MDT)

As part of promoting the term "free software", I think you should set up
something to discourage use of the word "open" in a project name.

I don't think we should have an absolute policy of rejecting all such
names.  That would be too strict.  Rather, we when a person proposes
using such a name, the system should respond automatically like this:

  Our aim is to host free software projects, and we want to encourage
  the public to think of them as free software projects.  A project
  name that says "open" is likely to encourage people to think of
  the project as "open source" instead of "free software".  Would
  you please choose a project name with "free" instead of "open"?
  If you think there is an important reason to use the name "open"
  in this particular project name, please write to savannah-hackers
  to discuss it.

If it is a convincing reason, you can say yes and create the package.

Does this seem like a good idea to you?  Can you do it?