Re: [Savannah-hackers] Project names "open"

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Project names "open"
Date: 12 Aug 2002 19:59:24 +0200

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> a tapoté :

> As part of promoting the term "free software", I think you should set up
> something to discourage use of the word "open" in a project name.
>
> I don't think we should have an absolute policy of rejecting all such
> names.  That would be too strict.

Actually, we already incitate people to use a name with free instead
of open. But it's not automated, we write a word or two about it while
discarding registration (the most of the project need to register more
than one time - only few people really read and so only few people
provide us all informations required).

> Rather, we when a person proposes using such a name, the system
> should respond automatically like this:
>
>   Our aim is to host free software projects, and we want to encourage
>   the public to think of them as free software projects.  A project
>   name that says "open" is likely to encourage people to think of
>   the project as "open source" instead of "free software".  Would
>   you please choose a project name with "free" instead of "open"?
>   If you think there is an important reason to use the name "open"
>   in this particular project name, please write to savannah-hackers
>   to discuss it.
>
> If it is a convincing reason, you can say yes and create the package.
>
> Does this seem like a good idea to you?  Can you do it?

It seems to be a good idea. We can, for example, test the group_name
while people submit it.
If we find open in the name, we print a message incitate people to
replace open by free, but we let people free to choose. But if people
choose to use a name with free, we'll ask them to explain their
choice.

I'll implement this soon. I'm currently working on the registration
interface.

http://savannah.gnu.org/users/yeupou
http://yeupou.coleumes.org
http://gpg.coleumes.org (GPG Key)