[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of -

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of -
Date: 19 Aug 2002 08:59:38 +0200

address@hidden said:

> A package was submitted to
> Alexander Malmberg <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package:
> System name: terminal
> Type: 2
> is a terminal emulator for GNUstep (and OpenStep in general, in
> theory). It currently emulates a \'linux\' terminal, and does it well since
> the terminal emulation code is based on linux\'s console code. The design
> easily allows adding support for more terminals, but so far there are no
> others. Scrollback, cutting and pasting, colors, and keyboard handling is
> supported.

"Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system
that we like to refer to as GNU/Linux, to emphasize
the ideals of the Free Software movement.

You can get more informations at

> It also provides services to other GNUstep(/OpenStep)
> applications. (Services are a way in which GNUstep apps extend each
> other. Somewhat simplified, using a service automatically cuts the
> current selection from the app you\'re in, sends it to the service
> provider (starting it if necessary), and pastes back the result.) It
> is fully configurable, and comes with a small but nice set of
> default services, eg. \'Define word\' (will run dict on a selected
> string and display the results in a terminal window), \'Wrap to 72
> columns\' (pipes the selection through fmt).
> It\'s stable, but not as robust as it could be. Everything can be configured
> from the GUI. Things to improve or fix include font handling, handling of
> different character sets, robustness, remembering open windows, and general
> maintenance.
> It already exists and you can download the latest distribution at

In order to release your project under the GPL you
should write copyright notice and copying conditions
at the beginning of every source code file, and
include a copy of the plain text version of the GPL
( copy it, for
instance, into a file named COPYING).

Please follow the advice of

> Other Software Required: GNUstep ( or
> Other Comments:
> I\'ve used cvs locally when developing this, so it would be good if the
> existing repository could be moved to the new one (to preserve history and
> stuff).

No problem. Once your project approved, just send to
address@hidden an url to your cvs tree tarball.

> The preferred capitalization is \'Terminal\', but the system name
> seemed to lower-case itself. It would be nice to have this reflected
> in the system name, although it isn\'t that important.

unix name must be lower-case here.
Anyway, personally, this esthetic consideration complicates a lot
usage (if every unix name is lower-case, no need to guess casing...)

Could you resubmit once it's done?
You can resubmit your project with ease by copying
the big re-registration URL provided in the mail
you receive at submission

Mathieu Roy
 << Profile  << <<
 >> Homepage >>           >>