[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of OpenEXR high dynamic range (HDR) im

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of OpenEXR high dynamic range (HDR) image f - savannah.gnu.org
Date: 21 Aug 2002 10:41:11 +0200

address@hidden said:

> A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org
>
> Drew Hess <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: other
> Other License: ILM Public License
>
> see http://www.ilm.com/opensource
>
> Package: OpenEXR high dynamic range (HDR) image f
> System name: openexr
> Type: 2
> developed by Industrial Light and Magic.  The OpenEXR distribution
> includes a library for reading and writing OpenEXR files; a 16-bit
> floating point class for creating 16-bit FP images; and an advanced
> math library.
>
> OpenEXR is released under the ILM Public License.  See
> http://www.ilm.com/opensource/

I'm not familiar with ILM Public License. As far I understand, it's
based on MPL 1.1.

The license you choose qualify your software as a Free
Software but is incompatible with the GNU GPL License.

The MPL 1.0 has some complex restrictions that make
it incompatible with the GNU GPL. That is, a module
covered by the GPL and a module covered by the MPL
cannot legally be linked together.
However, MPL 1.1 has provision (section 13) that
allows a program (or parts of it) to offer a choice
of another license as well. If part of a program allows
the GNU GPL as an alternate choice, or nay other
GPL-compatible license as an alternate choice, that
part of the program has a GPL-compatible license.

We choose to host only softwares published under a license
GPL-compatible. The principal reason is the fact that only
this policy permit mixing differents files from
the differents projects hosted without licensing
troubles.

If you're willing to switch to a GPL-compatible license,
or dual-licensing with a GPL compatible license
(if your license is MPL 1.1 on based on it), please
resubmit.
(additionally, we would like you to list differencies between ILMPL
and MPL 1.1)

You can get a list of various licenses and comments
about them at http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html
that should help you to understand our position.

> Other Software Required: gcc 2.95 or gcc 3.0
>
> GNU make
>
> autoconf
>
> FLTK for the included OpenEXR image display application (not
> required, this is an optional part of the build)

Could you create a tarbal with the code as it
now exists and make it available to a temporary URL
(and add this url to your description while submitting
the project)?

We want to help you to fix potential legal issues.
For example, in order to release your project under
the GPL you should write copyright notice and copying
conditions at the beginning of every source code
file, following the advice of
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

> Other Comments:
> We have been distributing this source to visual effects houses,
> commercial software companies, and academia under the name OpenEXR,
> and to change the name to FreeEXR now would only create confusion.
> Additionally, we have invested non-trivial amounts of time creating
> web content and documentation (including graphical images) with the
> name \"OpenEXR\" that would have to be changed if we switched names.

That's ok.

You can resubmit your project with ease by copying
the big re-registration URL provided in the mail
you receive at submission

 << GPG Key  << http://gpg.coleumes.org              <<