[Savannah-hackers] submission of Scientific Digital Assistant - savannah

From: jsmanrique
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Scientific Digital Assistant - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 19:30:20 -0400

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

J. Manrique Lopez de la Fuente <address@hidden> described the package as
follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Scientific Digital Assistant
System name: sda
Type: 2

The objective of Scientific Digital Assistant (SDA) project is to create a low
cost linux handheld that could be useful for high school and university
students, and even professors and scientific and technical professionals.

There were similar projects in the past, like HP Xpander
(http://www.hpcalc.org/xpander.php ), but none have seen the light. There
isn\'t any good and powerful scientific app for handhelds, and laptops can\'t
be get easily for most high school or university students in a lot of
countries, so we think that a low cost linux handheld would be a good tool for
education and daily work for students that can\'t easily access to computers or
new technologies.

The project has two main parts, hardware and software. The hardware part is
being studied, and while this happens we will use HP iPAQ to run the software
environment created for the SDA.

There is already a website for the project, where documentation and more
information can be get. It is in:
http://www.asturlinux.org/~jsmanrique/sda/

Other Software Required:
While we are searching for some hardware base, it could be possible to run the
software environment in a HP iPAQ handheld, just like prototype. So here are
some software basics for the project:

*Familiar Linux Distribution for HP iPAQ handhelds:
http://familiar.handhelds.org

*GPE: GNU Palmtop Environment:
http://gpe.handhelds.org

*Giac/XCAS for math software:
http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/giac.html

*And more to be added..

Other Comments:
I hope that companies that were involved in education like could see this
project as a possibility for future hardware development, specially HP, because
iPAQ is an HP product, so it could be easily modified to add SDA software on
it.
My contact e-mail is: address@hidden