Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of becommunities - one place for all

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of becommunities - one place for all beos - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 17:44:24 +0200

address@hidden wrote:
A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Claudius Wilhelms <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: website
Other License: Package: becommunities - one place for all beos System name: becomm
Type: 2

My project is to build a forum about free beos software, especially opensource
beos-like operating systems. This forum aims to be a place where users &
developers of free beos software can exchange knowledge and communicate.

It already exists and you can download the latest distribution at
http://www.becommunities.tk

I am not a savannah-hackers member, but try to help where I can, a few pointers: - the forum you are pointing to, is not an Open source software product (hence it isn't a free software product) the license states:
[http://www.invisionboard.com/?license]
LICENSE
Invision Power Services (IPS) grants you a non-exclusive license to use the Software if you follow all restrictions in all sections of this Agreement. Important: Invision Board is NOT an open source software product. You must follow the limitations in this software agreement. We offer specific permission to customise the code for your own needs later in this agreement.

- What are you trying? Are you building a forum? If so try to join an already exsinsting community. Or do you want to build one from scratch? If so, then you will have to release it under a GPL compatible license. The board you are referring to is not GPL compatible. Hence you can't even use it as a base for a GPL forum.

- Are you looking for webspace with php/mysql to run your forum? If so savannah can't help you.

Please note this is just a mere hint from me, not a savannah-hackers opinion.

Rudy