[Savannah-hackers] Re: freesoftware.fsf.org: the issue that will not die

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: freesoftware.fsf.org: the issue that will not die
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:04:01 -0600 (MDT)

    Twice, in the past few months, I have had to deal with PR problems arising
    from the fact that people tend to think a document posted on
    "freesoftware.fsf.org" is officially a statement from FSF.

I see the point.

      We noticed here at the office that the domains
    "softwarefreedom.net" and "software-freedom.net" are not yet taken.

"software-freedom" seems to imply a site that is political rather
than a software development site.

Is freesoftware.* available?  That name would fit better.
If none of them is available, can you look for another that refers
to free software rather than to a political issue such as freedom?

Mathieu Roy wrote:

    The initials would be SF.net. We shouldnt do that.

What difference do the initials make?  If they are not the domain name
we use, I don't see why they matter.

    Or maybe savannah.org (probably taken).

That seems reasonable to me, actually.