Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: freesoftware.fsf.org: the issue that will not

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: freesoftware.fsf.org: the issue that will not die
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:31:12 -0400

Jaime E. Villate <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 10:15:24AM -0400, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
> > I actually think using nongnu.org in this way will help to educate people
> > that "things can be "not part of GNU" but still Free Software -- and
> > still GPL'ed even".
> I agree. That's another strong point in favor of nongnu.org.
> As Rudy said, some users will get puzzled at first, which is an advantage
> because the best way to teach something to someone is by getting them
> puzzled about it.
>
> > To help clarify this, we probably will want to improve the text that
> > currently says "This package is not part of the GNU project".  Maybe it
> > should say "This package is not part of the GNU project, but it is still
> > Free Software released under the Foo license."
> >
> > And, those that now say "This package is part of the GNU project" should
> > probably say "This package is part of the GNU project; read this document
> > to see what that means", and it could link to some statement of GNU
> > project principles.

> Good idea. Hopefully, we will manage to separate freesofware.fsf.org and
> savannah.gnu.org this weekend (Loic is working on it).

Actually, if Loic is setting up the separation this very weekend, perhaps
we should do the separation NOW as officially savannah.gnu.org and
savannah.nongnu.org and have freesoftware.fsf.org as only a rewrite alias
to "savannah.nongnu.org".  This seems like a better plan instead of
splitting into freesoftware.fsf.org/savannah.gnu.org, only to rename the
canonical name of the former to savannah.nongnu.org later.

I just registered nongnu.org and will be setting it up in DNS shortly.

   -- bkuhn