Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: bug in Anon CVS how to

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: bug in Anon CVS how to
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:51:31 +0000 (UTC)

   Try using only one '@' in the CVS repository's definition.

My apologies, my mistake.  However, I did use only one '@' in the
other test and that CVS login failed.  I just reproduced the problem.
Without a ~/.cvspass file, you cannot log in anonymously.

     $ cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/softfree login
    Logging in to :pserver:address@hidden:2401/cvsroot/softfree
    CVS password:
    cvs login: warning: failed to open /home/guest/.cvspass for
    reading: No such file or directory

This is using  Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.2 (client/server)
After I ran

    touch ~/.cvspass

I was able to log in anonymously and download from the CVS repository.

Based on what Mathieu Roy <address@hidden> said, this may be a bug in
this version of CVS.  However, I am sure that many of the people who
will use this particular repository will use this version of cvs; so
people still need to be told how to solve the problem.

I have added to my announcement draft the following words:

    However, it appears that my having to do this is a bug in the
    version of CVS that I am using, and the need should go away when
    CVS is fixed.

You could add this to the anon-cvs.texi file I sent you, too.

Obviously, that file needs editing.  You might, for example, want to
change the relevant paragraph to read:

    When he used the @samp{guest} account to these commands,
    Robert J. Chassell found that his version 1.11.2 of @sc{cvs}
    needed a @file{~/.cvspass} file.  If none existed, none was
    created automatically.  He created one using the @code{touch}
    command.  However, this problem appear to be a bug in the version
    of @sc{cvs} that he is using and should go away.

Then, after the bug is fixed, revise the Texinfo file and update its
output files.

As is, the current documentation causes a person to fail if they
follow the instructions as given.