[Savannah-hackers] submission of GnuPG Keyserver - savannah.gnu.org

From: arc
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of GnuPG Keyserver - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 01:20:12 -0400

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Arc NLN <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License: Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation

Even the proof-of-concept code that\'s being distrubed contains the correct
copyright headers, same as Freeform.

Package: GnuPG Keyserver
System name: gnupgd
Type: GNU

This project is to coordinate the development of a simple OpenPGP keyserver
using GnuPG as it\'s core.

Basically, the idea is that we let GnuPG handle most of the processing, that
is, merging new signatures into keys, storing, sorting, searching, etc.  Other
keyserver projects try to reinvent the wheel, and while they may be faster,
they are either too old to support new features, lack flexibility we need for
our implementation, or are simply not ready for production use yet (and most
likely will not be within anywhere near a reasonable timeframe).

Our first goal is to have a working keyserver running this code by Saturday
(09/29/02) at keys.indymedia.org.  This was a keyserver network serving the
Indymedia (www.indymedia.org) network and thousands of activists who need to
exchange secure content with them, however pks proved to be too high
maintenence and over time all five mirror servers have shut down due to their
admin\'s lack of time to keep them running (ie, restarting them when they
fail).  I\'m planning to facilitate a GnuPG workshop at the upcomming
convergence in DC (where several hundred media activists will be attending) and
having keys.indymedia.org is essential to teaching this workshop.

Once in operation, contingent on the time and energy of Indymedia tech
volunteers (and others interested in helping develope the code), we\'ll add
features like photo-id display from the web interface, HKP email support for
peering with older keyserver codebases, and interoperability with Freeform
(http://sv.gnu.org/projects/freeform/).

At this point all that exists in snippets of proof-of-concept code, however we
should have some real code to upload to CVS as soon as this project is setup.

Other Software Required:
Python, py-GnuPGInterface, and GnuPG 1.2.

All Free, however I\'d like to use something other than GnuPGInterface- I feel
uneasy about the OSDN (Sourceforge, where it\'s hosted) and the interface it
offers for GnuPG is crude, at best.  It\'s only redeeming quality is that it\'s
so low-level that it doesn\'t seem to care what version of GnuPG we run,
compatability with any one version is dependent on our side (responses have to
be parsed differently).  This project may require, eventually, a new GnuPG
module be written.

Other Comments: