[Savannah-hackers] [ 101362 ] UTF-8 and BiDi and HTML support

From: nobody
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] [ 101362 ] UTF-8 and BiDi and HTML support
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 13:33:42 -0400

Support Request #101362, was updated on 2002-Oct-06 14:19
You can respond by visiting:
http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailsupport&support_id=101362&group_id=11

Category: Web

By: a.zeini
Date: 2002-Oct-06 21:03
Logged In: YES
user_id=8268
Browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)

Hi,

Thanks for the fast response.

To the first point: yes it is usual to use UTF-8 on web
pages and it is really recommandable. In fact this is for
many languages the only way to display localized content,
and it is completley standard based: Unicode.
IMHO it wont hurt anybody, we would just go with the
standards. And since all Free software or open source
browsers that I am aware of, now support UTF-8 again it
shouldn't be a problem.
As an example you could visit www.fsf.ir or
www.farsikde.org, which are maintained by me. There are
many more sites out there which use UTF-8. (NOTE: If you
don't see anything in Farsi on the above pages, it is
because you don't have a font that supports the Farsi
subset of Unicode, but that's OK since it is still standard
based)

On the second point, I agree with you about possible
consequences. But a subset should fine and enough.
Basically to be able to denote bold/italic, paragraphs,
line breaks and text directions could be enough for the
beginning. Again, it is because farsi runs from right to
left. It would be great to be able to set paragraphs with
the attributes dir="RTL". This is again included in HTML
and hence fully standards compliant.

This would help us non-English speaking people a lot.
Specially in cases we use Savannah for language specific
projects, where it is important the "mother tongue" of the
people.
What do you think?

Greetings,
Arash